Saturday, 13 August 2016

Some Summering... Crabbing on Mersea



Summer is summering then! Off we go! We had our summer holiday bucket list, our good intentions, bags of energy, new sun hats, friends throwing plans back and forward, we were ready for this! Weren't we?!

Ok... The beach trip didn't go as it should have. We left that play date early, screaming, apologising and explaining incessant ingratitude away with "they're just so tired"! The BBQ was rained indoors and sausages at the dining table is just kind of lame. I'm not sure if they're over-stimulated or under-structured? Tired or just plain spoilt? Do they need a day at home or a big day out? It's fine Mummies! It's a lot and every single one of us putting too much pressure on it, guaranteed. But we can rebuild from here. Actually it's going much better than you think. 

The great thing about kids is I am absolutely certain they don't remember your stress in the slightest. If you had to kill yourself walking up a massive sandy hill to the only public loos on the beach every 20 minutes (BECAUSE SERIOUSLY BOW HOW SMALL IS YOUR BLADDER?!) they don't remember it, they didn't even register your heavy breathing at the time. If you forgot the wipes and had to walk around in your t-shirt as their ice-cream facial cloth for the entire day, they don't remember that either. I know they moaned that the park was "not the good park, it's just a rubbish one" when they got there but they don't remember it. 

And here's the thing... I am certain that when my Mum reminisces about summer holidays with me and my sister and she talks about all about the car loads of kids her and the other mums took swimming or walking or PYO-ing she does not remember the stresses either. Now my Mum is incredible, that's indisputable, but there was no magical time in history where moaning didn't exist for kids and tiredness didn't exist for parents. She lived it then like we're living it now. But she doesn't remember it like that. Now she looks at me with eyes that only see magical memories of my childhood and tells me "I loved the summer holidays!

No one's lying here though. She did love the summer holidays. We love the summer holidays. She was however equally exhausted and overwhelmed and a tiny bit disappointed the whole time though. As are we. But we won't remember that part like she doesn't remember that part. We'll colour it all hazy pink in our minds like Mum has and all that will matter is that we did it. And kids... Well kids figure everything out faster than us, they colour it all pink 20 seconds after it's happened! So don't worry about them, they're having a blast (even though they say"this park is just so much yuck" :P).

When in doubt Mummies... Pimms. Is kind of pink and it will aid the romancing-the-summer-memories process. Studies have proven this a true fact. 



And here we are summering away on West Mersea Crabbing Pier, it's already a better memory in my head... Bow did try and throw himself in the sea every 4 seconds and I wanted to rip my own tongue out after I said "Euna you can't take the crabs home" 697 times... But that's already just amusing rather than irritating in my head! And I didn't even lubricate the process with Pimms that time! ;)











If you would like to know more about my photography why not like my Facebook page or check out my website







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...